News & Events:
2012 and older:
- September 1, 2019: tradeonlytoday.com: Making Progress on Electric Shock Drowning: Some experts believe there should be more training for technicians in the area of electrical current leakage
- August 8, 2019: www.news4jax.com: Beware this hidden danger around the pool, dock or marina - State Fire Marshal warns Floridians about electrical hazards near water
- July 22, 2019: WebMD: Electric Shock Drowning: A Silent Killer
- July 20, 2019: www.wate.com: Carson-Newman University student killed in accident in Guatemala
- July 18, 2019: www.msn.com: Family warns of electric shock drowning after girl, 9, dies in pool accident
- July 18, 2019: www.nkytribune.com: Electric shock drowning is a silent killer - please be careful when boating this summer
- July 11, 2019: www.tradeonlytoday.com: AMI hosts webinar on electric shock drowning
- July 2019: www.rd.com: Readers Digest: 11 of the Most Dangerous Places to Swim
- June 14, 2019: www.heraldchronicle.com: SFMO: Remember the risks of electric shock drowning while swimming and boating
- May 3, 3019: www.MikeHolt.com: Electrical Safety: Electric Shock Drowning Incident Update
- April 15, 2019: waterway explorer magazine: Electric Shock Drowning and Electrocution Prevention
- April 1, 2019: www.fox40.com: Two Teens Electrocuted While Rescuing Dog from Dixon Canal
- February 28, 2019: www.lakesidenews.com: New regulations coming to prevent Electric Shock Drowning
- November 16, 2018: www.ecmweb.com: The Science Behind Electric Shock Drowning
- July 11, 2018: www.lakeexpo.com: Woman, Children Narrowly Escape Dock Electrocution On The Lake
- July 4, 2018: www.wfmj.com: Canfield family warns about electric shock in pools
- June 28, 2018: www.wandtv.com: Warnings against swimming in marinas
- June 22, 2018: www.kob.com: Rescuers warn of electric shock drowning threat
- June 20, 2018: www.wcnc.com: App, device detects electric shock in water
- June 20, 2018: www.citizentribune.com: Keep Safe this Summer
- June 12, 2018: lakeexpo.com: DOCK SHOCK: Swimmers OK After Being Buzzed By Bare Wire on Nearby Dock
- June 5, 2018: wsls.com: 17-year-old girl recovering after electric shock while swimming at Smith Mountain Lake
- May 18, 2018: lakeexpo.com: A Checklist For Your Dock's Electric System As You Power Up For The Boating Season
- May 16, 2018: news-medical.net: Electric Shock First Aid
- May 14, 2018: ozarksfirst.com: Branson Employees Prevent Potentially Deadly 'Dock Shock'
- May 13, 2018: ky3.com: Dock safety for lake season
- April 25, 2018: whnt.com: Family of drowning victim teams up with TVA to deliver water safety message.
- March 6, 2018: upnorthlive.com: City of Petoskey to update marina's electrical system
- January 29, 2018: lakexpo.com: Can Dock Electric Safety Be Improved Without a Law? One Missouri Senator Is Hopeful - Electric shock drownings are rare, but can they be legislated out of existence?
- January 5, 2018: newindianexpress.com: Four children electrocuted in Bihar's Saharsa district
- December 10, 2017: tuscaloosanews.com: Tuscaloosa advances lake safety regs on electricity
- October 17, 2017: electricshockdrowning.org: Updated ESD List is published on ESD Resources page
- October 12, 2017: esfi.org: Ground Fault Circuit Interrupters: Preventing Electrocution since 1972
- October 1, 2017: tri-cityherald.com: Pasco teen's death linked to faulty pump wiring
- September 6, 2017: consumer.healthday.com: Be Cautious Going Home After Hurricane Harvey: Electrocution and carbon monoxide poisoning are risks in flooded homes, American Thoracic Society says
- August 31, 2017: fox4kc.com: Houston man electrocuted while walking to sister's house in Harvey's floodwaters
- August 30, 2017: dailymail.com: Two Hurricane Harvey volunteers are dead, two are still missing and two DailyMail.com journalists have been injured after their boat crashed into submerged power lines in Houston floodwaters on Monday
- August 30, 2017: abc13.com: Family warns about unseen dangers after son is electrocuted in flood waters
- August 2017: NFPA publishes Marina Risk Reduction Report
- August 11, 2017: tri-cityherald.com: Update: Electrified pipe likely led to Chiawana sophomore's drowning in Columbia River
- August 8, 2017: seattletimes.com: Family sues PSE, saying daughter, 18, was electrocuted while tubin the Puyallup River
- August 1, 2017: tuscaloosanews.com: Dock regulations on Lake Tuscaloosa near approval
- July 27, 2017: wbrc.com: Public meeting Monday on possible new Lake Tuscaloosa safety regulations
- July 26, 2017: iosconews.com: East Tawas State Harbor addes 54 new slips, upgrades electrical system
- July 25, 2017: threesheetsnw.com: Port of Poulsbo completes electrical upgrades to guest moorage
- July 24, 2017: castanet.net: Shocking tale of survival
- July 17, 2017: myvalleynews.com: NFPA and ESFl work to reduce fatalities caused by electric shock drowning in pools and at marinas
- July 13, 2017: United States Power Squadrons: Be safe from ESD
- July 12, 2017: MV Times: Chilmark to Seal off Crab Corner, post hazard signs
- July 12, 2017: Mike Holt Enterprises Electrical News Source: Swimming Pools - Dangers of Electrocutions
- July 11, 2017: kcbd.com: Texas teen electrocuted after cell phone incident in bathtub
- July 9, 2017: globalnews.ca: What Canadians need to know about electric shock drowning and how to prevent it
- July 7, 2017: fridayflyer.com: Electric shock felt by two local kayakers on the lake
- July 3, 2017: Mike Holt Enterprises Electrical News Source: Alaska and Article 555, by Ed Lethert
- June 29, 2017: Energy Education Council: Help Prevent Electric Shock Drowning, Swimming Tragedies
- June 27, 2017: mvtimes.com: A Menemsha beach is closed after kids feel 'tickle' of electricity
- June 26, 2017: fox5krbk.com: Swimming pools can pose electrocution risk
- June 25, 2017: wsoctv.com: Lake goers warned about dangers of electric shock drowning
- June 22, 2017: nfpa.org: NFPA and ESFI work to reduce fatalities caused by electric shock drowning in pools and at marinas
- June 23, 2017: bbc.com: Turkish water park: Children and adults electrocuted
- June 21, 2017: tradeonlytoday.com: Electrical deaths raise awareness as summer starts
- June 20, 2017: rvtravel.com: Beware of Electric Shock Drowning - Critical information!
- June 20, 2017: Today.com: Rossen Reports: How to protect your family from stray voltage in the pool
- June 18, 2017: Cleveland10.com: Marine surveyor says victim can't tread water when electric shock drowning
- June 19, 2017: 6abc.com: Girl, 10, electrocuted playing in lagoon with friends in Toms River
- June 17, 2017: Fox8.com: 19-year old dies from electrical current in water at Put-In-Bay marina
- June 15, 2017: Mike Holt Enterprises Electrical News Source: Electric Shock Drowning - A Silent Killer
- June 15, 2017: WebMD: Electric Shock Drowning: A Silent Killer
- June 2, 2017: WHNT10: Second person dies after pool incident in Florence
- May 28, 2017: Citizen Tribune: Fire Marshal reminds of ESD danger
- May 26, 2017: WKDZ: Boaters Electric Shock Drowning Safety Tips
- May 25, 2017: Coast Guard Auxiliary warns of electric shock drowning ahead of Memorial Day weekend
- May 25, 2017: Newswise.com: Don't Be Shocked! Keep Your Family Safe Around Pools and Lakes This Summer
- May 22, 2017: Times Daily: Investigation into pool electrocution continues
- May 19, 2017: WHNT 19: One person dies of electrocution in residential pool
- May 18, 2017: The Cullman Tribune: The Hidden Dangers of Electric Shock Drowning
- May 17, 2017: Daily Energy Insider Reports: Electrical Safety Foundation International launches campaign to "decode" the National Electric Code
- May 17, 2017: WLWT: Kentucky officials warn of electric shock drowning danger
- May 16, 2017: The Lane Report: Boaters should be aware of electric shock drowning danger
- May 2, 2017: TribNow.com: Electric Shock Drowning -- The Hidden Danger to Swimmers and Boaters
- May 1, 2017: WHEC.com: Family's flood control effort gives electric shock to homeowner
- April 26, 2017: Tuscaloosanews.com: LETTER: Stay safe around boat docks this summer
- April 25, 2017: TCpalm.com: Electrical Connections warns residents of electrical shock drownings
- April 19, 2017: Aquatics International: Electrical Tragedy Inspires North Carolina Safety Bill, Family Lawsuit
- April 19, 2017: al.com: Autopsy shows 2 lawyers found dead at Lake Tuscaloosa were electrocuted
- April 18, 2017: Dothan First.com: ESD: The Silent Killer (Interview by ESDPA member Kevin Ritz)
- April 18, 2017: al.com: What is electric shock drowning? Family of teen killed in Alabama lake warns about shock danger
- April 17, 2017: Tuscaloosanews.com: Electrocution investigated as possible cause of drownings
- April 17, 2017: al.com: Electrocution investigated as possible cause of death for women found in Lake Tuscaloosa
- April 15, 2017: Wvtm13.com: Bodies of two women found in Lake Tuscaloosa
- April 6, 2017: Missouri Senate: Missouri dock safety legislation advances in Senate
- April 1, 2017: Boating with Wolf Marine and Tetzlaff Yacht Sales: Interview with ESDPA Ed Lethert regarding ESD at 16:33 mark
- March 13, 2017: ESFi.org: Electric Shock Drowning - Unknown Danger Lurking in the Water, National Electrical Safety Month 2017: Decoding the NEC to Prevent Shock and Electrocution
- September 5, 2016: WRAL.com: Teen lifeguard electrocuted in Labor Day Weekend accident
- August 18, 2016: Mike Holt Enterprises: Electrical News Source: Ground Fault Protection and the Multi-wire Branch Circuit - A troubled Marriage.
- July 23, 2016: Lake News Online: Education campaign on electroshocks improves dock safety
- July 22, 2016: Pocono Record: Electrical shock results in Harveys Lake drowning
- July 19, 2016: WSOCTV.com: 9 Investigates the deadly dangers of electric shock drowning
- July 12, 2016: Oyster.com: 6 Swimming Dangers You Don't Think About
- July 10, 2016: City of Springpark, MN: From the Police Department - What is Electric Shock Drowning?
- July 7, 2016: Boating Industry.com: NFPA and ESFI share boating and marina electrical safety resources
- June 30, 2016: WSB-TV: There's a potentially fatal hidden danger in the water
- June 29, 2016: News 95.5 AM750 WSB: This is a NO SWIM zone!, by Dave Baker
- June 28, 2016: CBS Minnesota: Big Lake Death Shines Spotlight on Electric Shock Drowning
- June 28, 2016: The Arizona Republic: Phoenix man 'possibly' shocked tyring to change pool light
- June 24, 2016: WVLT-TV - Knoxville, TN: Program inspects docks and marinas for possibility of electrocution
- June 20, 2016: WebMD: Drowning Myths: What to Know Before You Dive In
- June 19, 2016 - KATV: Lake Ouachita marina warns dangers of electric shock drowning
- May 30, 2016 - Good Morning America: Hidden Dangers of Lake Electricity
- May 27, 2016 - The Telegraph: Electricity poses deadly threat on Middle Georgia Lakes
- May 24, 2016 - Safe Electricity advises, "If You Feel a Shock, Swim Away from the Dock."
- May 20, 2016 - Today Health and Wellness: After tragedy, parents raise awareness about electric shock drowning
- May 17, 2016 - Mike Holt Enterprises Electrical News Source: Electric Shock Drowning
- May 12, 2016 - Mike Holt Enterprises Electrical News Source: Teen Dies after Jumping into Lake
- April 22, 2016, AJC.com, What every parent needs to know about electric shock drowning
- April 18, 2016, WHNT 19, Taking Action: Preventing electric shock drowning
- April 16, 2016, ABC WAAY 31, Teen drowns at Smith Lake, electrocution may have been cause
- March 30, 2016, Los Angeles Times, Silicon Valley executive dies trying to rescue daughter from electrified pool, authorities say
- March 3, 2016, USA Today, The Nation's News, A Missouri bill designed to prevent electrocution-related deaths at the Lake of Ozarks has been introduced in the state Legislature.
- February 29, 2016, State Rep. files bill to prevent electrocution deaths at Lake of Ozarks, by Taylor Petras, ABC Channel 17 News.
- July 29, 2015, Search continues for Cherokee Lake electric shock source, WBIR.COM
- July 10, 2015, East Moline families work for change after Lake of Ozarks electric shock death, by Angie Sharp, WQAD News 8.
- July 7, 2015, Charged Waters, Lakeshore Weekly News, by Amanda Schwarze.
- June 22, 2015, ESD claims its first known victim in 2015: Swimmer Electrocuted at Lake of the Ozarks, Lake Expo.com.
- NFPA Journal May / June 2015, Troubled Waters, A new look at marinas, boatyards, and the problem of electric shock drowning, by Ashley Smith.
- June 5, 2015, Delmarva Power Gives Water Sport Electric Safety Tips, WBOC 16.
- June 4, 2015, TN State Fire Marshall's Office: Take Precautions to Avoid Electric Shock Drowning.
- Article on Electric Shock Drowning in Lifeline Magazine, Electric Shock Drowning (ESD), the Silent Killer, by Phillip May.
- May 21, 2015 - Electric Safety Foundation International Offers Tips to Prevent Boating-Related Electrical Incidents This Memorial Day.
- May 18, 2015 - Dock Dangers, by Meghan Lane, ConnectMidMissouri.com, Angela Anderson, mother of Alexandra and Brayden Anderson, is interviewed about the danger of Electric Shock Drowning.
- May 6, 2015 - Michigan Boating Industries Association hands out safety tips. Marina Safety: Never swim within a marina. Electric Shock Drowning occurs when water is charged with electricity...
- Gowrie Group Risk Report: Understanding Electric Shock Drowning. Gowrie Group’s report on Electric Shock Drowning (ESD) provides detailed information on the causes, risk factors, and prevention. Also read the April 28, 2015 article published by Gowrie Group explaining Electric Shock Drowning.
- Shock Alarm, LLC creates a device that continuously monitors the water in pools and around boats for the presence of electricity. Shock Alarm, LLC becomes an affiliate of Purdue Research Park of Southeast Indiana.
- U.S. Power Squadrons release ESD Brochure on April 19, 2015. Download the ESD Brochure.
- Marina and Dock Inspections Bring Greater Safety to Tennesseans, TN.govNewsroom, March 9, 2015
- Educating About Electric Shock Drowning: One Mom's Mission - WV Public Broadcasting interview with Amy Cunningham about the Michael Cunningham Act, August 1, 2014.
- Drownings by electric shock are catalyst for bill proposed by Kentucky legislature, Kentucky.com, July 11, 2014.
- Electrical Safety Foundation International Commends TN Legislature for Enacting 'Noah Dean and Nate' Marina Safety Law. ESFi.com, June 4, 2014.
- Haslam signs 'Noah Dean and Nate' marina safety law, WBIR.com story on the enactment of the Noah Dean & Nate Bill in Tennessee, June 4, 2014.
- Marina safety bill proposed in the name of electrocuted boys, WBIR.com January 28, 2014.
- Gov. Tomblin Signs "Michael Cunningham Act" into Law on 3rd Anniversary of BHS Student's Passing, Connect Bridgeport, May 29, 2013.
2012 and older:
- The American Boat and Yacht Council Responds to Electric Shock Drowning Incidents, ABYC, July 10, 2012
- Grieving father fights invisible killer: Electric shock to swimmers. NBC News, July 6, 2012.
- Electric Shock Drowning: A Hidden Danger in Fresh Water. Huffington Post, August 30, 2010.
- June 20, 2015 - Alexandra and Brayden Memorial 5K, Osage Beach City Park, MO.
- June 5, 2015 - ESDPA and friends will be handing out informational brochures on Electric Shock Drowning at Ashland's First Friday hosting the Official Kickoff for the First Annual Eastern Kentucky Outdoor Weekend, Ashland, KY. Event begins at 5:00 p.m.
- May 9, 2015 - Safe Kids Day, Columbia, MO. This is an annual event to celebrate child safety and provide safety education that will feature a water safety booth with information on ESD. Visit SafeKids.org.
- April 25, 2015 - Float for the Food, Bass Pro Shop Lake, MO. A group of engineering students at the University of Missouri - Columbia will be constructing the Safe Kids boat, which will be dedicated to Alexandra and Brayden Anderson's memory. There will be a Safe Kids' booth at the event that will provide education on ESD. Visit SafeKids.org.
Support the ESDPA (ESDPA is a 501(c)(3) - Your donation is tax deductible):
- Contribute to the ESDPA's current GoFundMe campaign
- Donate to the ESDPA through AmazonSmile
- Contact us about support and donations